Thursday, June 10, 2010

Festival Folk sur le canal June 19-20

Festival Folk sur le canal is back for year number three on the St. Ambroise Terrace, on the Lachine Canal, behind the McCauslin Brewery at 5080 St. Ambroise Street. For the first time, it’ll be a two-day fest on Saturday and Sunday June 19 and 20.

The festival has an impressive line-up this year that includes some of the best and most interesting artists from the Montreal roots scene including Lake of Stew, Katie Moore, Notre Dame de Grass, the Kitchen Shakers, Dave Gossage, and the What 4, a group that includes Jane McGarrigle.

Among the out-of-towners I’m looking forward to hearing are Old Man Luedecke, Jenny Whiteley, Kathleen Edwards, Jon Brooks and Anaïs Mitchell (who was part of a songwriters’ workshop I hosted a few years ago at the Champlain Valley Folk Festival in Vermont).

And like any good festival, there are some performers – including Peter Katz and Craig Cardiff – who are new to me that I’m looking forward to hearing for the first time.

I’m very happy to see that this year’s edition of the festival will include several workshop sessions. Coming from the Mariposa of the ‘70s generation, I’ve always felt that workshops are the heart and soul of folk festivals. They’re also promising some great music and other activities for kids.

And I’ll be back for my third year as one of the MCs. Look for me from mid-late Sunday afternoon.

The festival has grown nicely over its three years. Congratulations to Matt Large and Rebecca Anderson of Hello Darlin’ Productions and Carl Comeau of Hyperbole Music for for a great job of putting it together and making it happen.

Lots more info at montrealfolkfest.com.

--Mike Regenstreif

No comments:

Post a Comment